Tomorrow is Valentine’s day and being the responsible Dietitian that I am, I am sharing my favourite ultra healthy raw chocolate brownie. If you’re looking for a non-Cadbury chocolaty treat for your special someone, I encourage you to give this recipe a try. Even the biggest of skeptics would be impressed by the combination of sweet dates and hearty nuts, and you wouldn’t believe its completely raw! But what I think really sets this recipe for Raw Chocolate Brownie with Caramel Icing apart is the special raw caramel icing.
“Cacao retains it’s health benefits because it is not as processed using heat, making it a (mostly) raw product which contains more antioxidants and nutrients in comparison to coco powder.”
I thought I would give this recipe a revamp. This was one of the original recipes on my website, but since I started this blog I have made the move from Australia and Canada. I have since found out that macadamia butter, which was used for the caramel icing, does not exist in this cold country. Luckily, it turns out that cashew butter is the perfect alternative to macadamia butter. Cashew butter can be found next to the peanut butter is most grocery and health food stores.
Cacao, dates, cashews and almonds all come from far away. I try to save these ingredients for special occasions, and what better occasion than Valentine’s day. Purchasing Fair Trade Cacao ensures fair wages for farmers and producers generally follow organic farming practices (see my post Have A Heart – Fair Trade Chocolate).
Wishing everyone the best valentines day ever! This is where I will be spending mine….
Raw Chocolate Brownie with Caramel Icing
Equipment Required: Food processor
Ingredients for Raw Chocolate Brownie with Caramel Icing
- 1 cup walnuts, raw
- 1 cup almonds, raw
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1/4 cup organic cocoa or raw cacao (Fair Trade)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 tbsp water
For the Caramel Icing
- 1/2 cup cashew butter
- 1/2 cup pitted dates
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
Method For Raw Chocolate Brownie with Caramel Icing
- First season a small baking dish (about 12 x 12) with oil or line with parchment paper. Process the walnuts and almonds in a food processor until they are roughly chopped.
- Add the dates, cacao, vanilla and sea salt. Process until ingredients are well mixed. Add 2 tbsp of water, or enough to make the mixture stick together. The mixture should look well blended with no large chunks of nuts. Press the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Next, make the icing. Put all of the ingredients in the food processor and mix until well combined. The salt enhances the flavour of the caramel and chocolate. Once well blended, layer on top of the brownie mixture.
- Let sit the brownie sit in the fridge for one hour (if you can wait that long). Cut into 3 inch squares, enjoy!
Per 1 square
Total Fat: 11.9g