What is Camelina Oil you ask? Let me share with you one of our very own Canadian oils, grown from ancient Camelina Seeds, a relative of the mustard family originating from Northern Europe. It also happens to have one of the highest smoke points of available oils. That about sums it up, except I need to mention that it tastes fantastic! I decided to include it in this Easy Five Ingredient Cauliflower and Miso Dip because of just that. It has an earthy and nutty flavour which goes well with the miso in this blended vegan dip, and I love topping it with chickpeas that have been roasted in the Camelina Oil for a double dip of this healthy fat. This Five Ingredient Cauliflower and Miso Dip is just in time for the holidays because if you are like me quick and easy is a must at this time of year.
“Camelia Oil has a favourable composition of omega-3 to omega-6, and 4g of omega-3 alpha lipoic acid per tablespoon.”
If you have never had a cauliflower dip I encourage you to give it a try. As you probably know, cauliflower makes a great alternative to mashed potatoes because it blends so smooth and creamy. I added hemp hearts for additional creaminess and to offer a thicker dip-like texture. Miso provides the majority of the flavour as well as live-active cultures to keep our gut healthy (see Health Benefits of Fermented Foods You Probably Have At Home), and garlic is added because… well garlic makes most things taste better.
For additional sustainability points, Camelina Oil is certified non-genetically modified, unlike some other Canadian oils. It is drought tolerant and cold resistant making it great for Saskatchewan soils. Three Farmers, the producers of Camelina oil, also pride themselves on their traceability and display a barcode on each one of their products so consumers can trace their bottles of oil right back to the source of where they were grown. Its high content of Vitamin E makes it very shelf-stable – approximately 18 months from press date.
To finish off this Five Ingredient Cauliflower and Miso Dip I recommend serving it with roasted chickpeas for some added crunch. Simply roast your own using the Camelina Oil, or Three Farmers also prepares their own Camelina Oil roasted chickpeas for a quick and easy option.
Easy Cauliflower Miso Dip [Vegan, GF]
- 4 cups cauliflower cut into bit sized pieces
- 1 clove garlic sliced
- 2 tbsp white miso paste
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 2 tbsp Camelina Oil cold-pressed
- 1/4 cup Roasted Chickpeas* (optional)
- Start by steaming the cauliflower for about 7 minutes. You will know it is done when you can pierce it easily with a fork. (Option to roast cauliflower for more flavour, see note).
- Add the cauliflower and the remaining ingredients except for the oil into a high-speed blender or food processor and start blending on low.
- Gradually add the oil, one tablespoon at a time. Turn up the blender until a smooth creamy dip is formed.
- Top with roasted chickpeas if using. Serve with a side of crackers or sliced cucumber.
Amp up the flavour: Instead of steaming, roast the cauliflower in 1 tbsp of Camelina Oil and sea salt for 25 minutes before adding to the food processor.