As summer comes to an end we reflect on the memories that were made and miracles that happened. It was a summer of non-stop adventures and what may have kept our stamina going was our multiple renditions of our nutrient-packed salad bowls. I’ve already shared Sami’s Summer Tofu Salad Bowl with Brown Rice and a Glory Bowl Dressing, and then followed that up with the lighter alternative Light Summer Salad with a Garlic and Tahini Dressing. Now my love of Asian flavours has inspired this Japanese Salad Bowl served with a Miso Tahini Dressing and Brown Rice, just in time to see summer to its end.
“Miso is a paste made from fermented soybeans and barley, rice or other grains. A soy-free version is made from chickpeas. Like other fermented foods, miso increases the amount of beneficial bacteria in the digestive tract. These friendly bacteria organisms aid in digestion and also play an important role in strengthening our immune system.”
If you household is without miso then it is time to make your first purchase. Miso comes with so many health benefits – see Health Benefits of Fermented Food, lasts forever, and is very versatile. Aside from adding it to salad dressings, you can add a few tablespoons to some hot water to make Japanese Miso and Soba Noodle Soup. Another option is to make it into a paste and slather it on some tofu before baking for 20 minutes. I also love adding it to a simple stir-fry instead of soy sauce. I used red miso in this dressing if you would prefer a lighter flavour use for a white miso paste.
Japanese Salad Bowls with a Miso Tahini Dressing and Brown Rice
- 3/4 cup brown rice dry
- 8 eggs free range
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 bunch radishes finely sliced
- 1 carrot shredded
- 1/2 long cucumber thinly sliced
- 2 cups red cabbage shredded
- 1/4 cup almonds sliced
For the dressing
- 3 tbsp tahini raw
- 2 tbsp red miso
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger minced
- 1 tbsp honey raw / unpasturized
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4 cup water + 2 tbsp. optional
- Start by preparing the rice as per package directions. Brown rice usually takes about 30 minutes to cook.
- For a slightly soft yoked boiled egg, place the eggs in a large sauce pan and fill with water ensuring that the eggs are covered. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to medium and continue to let the eggs boil for about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let the eggs sit in the hot water for another 5 minutes, covered. Drain and run the eggs under cooled water to stop the cooking process.
- To prepare the salad, first wash the vegetables. Remove the kale leaves from the stem and tear the leaves into bit size pieces, discarding the stem. Add the kale to a salad bowl along with the shredded cabbage, sliced cucumber, sliced radishes and shredded carrot.
- Option to toast the sliced almonds in a frying pan over medium heat for about 30 seconds before adding to the salad to intensify the flavour (I like to leave mine raw).
- To prepare the dressing mix all ingredients in a blender until well combined. Add the extra 2 tbsp. of water if you prefer a more runny texture.
- Remove the shells from the eggs and slice. Serve the salad on top of a serving of brown rice, add the sliced eggs and sliced almonds to the salad bowl. Serve with the dressing on the side.
Make it Grain-Free: Serve it on top of green lentils instead of rice, or with roasted sweet potato.
Boost the Probiotics: Use Apple Cider Vinegar (unpasteurized) in place of rice vinegar.