When the last light is at 10:05pm on the longest day of the year, its our duty to capitalise on as many fun summertime activities in as possible. Our Summer Solstice spanned through neighborhood music festivals, lakeside lounges, afternoon basketball games, late night burgers and best of all, spending time with friends. If the first day of summer could offer this many smiles and laughs, the next 3 months are going to be some for the memory bank.
“Rose petals are a great edible flower that can be used a variety of ways, from Mexican dishes to English teas. Make sure your roses are from an organic, non-sprayed garden to avoid ingestion of nasty pesticides.”
Summer also means BBQs. While we are capitalising on the long daylight hours, why not capitalise on the summertime bounty. This Recipe Redux challenge was make use of edible flowers. Chive flowers are those beautiful purple, round flowers popping up throughout chive beds which have a slight oniony flavour. Rose petals offers some sweetness to your salad and a light vinaigrette does well to compliment.
Edible Flower Salad with Rose Petals, Chive Flowers and a Light Vinaigrette
- 4 cups kale or baby spinach chopped
- 1/4 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot grated
- 2 organic rose petals
- 2 chive flower petals
For The Vinaigrette
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey* raw
- 1/4 cup olive oil extra virgin
- sea salt
- pepper ground
- Wash and de-stem the kale if using, tear or cut into bite-sized pieces. Combine remaining salad ingredients in a bowl.
- In separate bowl, mix together the white wine vinegar and honey. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Dress the salad with the vinaigrette. Enjoy!