The abundance of zucchini is a guarantee that summer is in full swing. Creative uses for zucchini have taken over my Pinterest news feed – ranging from stuffed, to chips, to zucchini noodles. People are mad about this summer veg but no need to get too fancy, zucchini can produce some quick and easy dishes as well. This Simple Vegetable Packed Crustless Quiche with Feta recipe is exactly that. No stove stop required (less dishes, yes!), and with 2 1/2 servings of vegetables per serve and a whole lot of protein, it’s super healthy as well!
“Zucchini is a good source of carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin which both promote healthy eyesight. A cup of chopped zucchini contains 2.6mg of these phytonutrients, and the American Optometric Association recommends an intake of at least 6mg per day to reduce your risk for age-related macular degeneration – that’s almost 50%!”
Kid’s will appreciate the cheesiness of this dish, and won’t even mind the loads of shredded veggies hidden inside. Mom’s will appreciate the simpleness of this dish, and the flexibility to use whichever excess summer vegetable is taking up space in the fridge.
What makes the dish so simple is that there is no frying required. Simply place all the prepared raw vegetables into a bowl, add the remaining ingredients, then pop it in the oven and wait. Because aromatics like onion and garlic are usually fried to release their flavour, the addition of fresh herbs and tasty cheeses like feta and aged cheddar is crucial for depth of flavour. This recipe is very flexible, have fun with it and enjoy!
Simple Vegetable Crustless Quiche with Feta
or 6 Side Servings
Ingredients for Simple Vegetable Crustless Quiche with Feta
- 2 cups grated zucchini, about 1 medium zucchini
- 2 cups grated carrot, about 2 medium carrots
- 2 loose cups shredded kale or chard
- 1 cup mixed fresh herbs (I used cilantro and basil)
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato, sliced into 8 rounds
- 8 free range eggs
- 1/2 cup organic milk or unsweetened milk alternative
- 1/2 cup grated organic aged cheddar cheese (or another strong cheese)
- 1/2 cup organic crumbled feta
- 1 tbsp virgin olive oil or organic butter
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- ground black pepper
A fresh summer salad
Onion chutney (optional)
Method For Simple Vegetable Crustless Quiche with Feta
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Take the grated zucchini, one handful at a time and gently squeeze the water out of it over the sink. This prevents the quiche from getting soggy. Add the zucchini to a bowl with all of the other vegetables except the tomato. Add the herbs and both of the cheeses. Mix to combined.
- In a separate bowl, crack the eggs and gently whisk. Add the milk or milk alternative and season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Add the egg mixture to the vegetable mixture and stir to combine.
- Grease a large rectangle baking dish and prepare it with some oil or butter. Add in the quiche mixture. Place the sliced tomatoes on the top decoratively.
- Cook for about 30 minutes. If your baking dish is a bit deeper, you may need to cook it a little longer. You will know when it is finished when the top starts to look golden, and the quiche does not jiggle when you shake it. Once finished, let it cool slightly before serving. Enjoy with some tasty chutney or mustard and a nice side of fresh summer salad.
Make it dairy free: Use vegan cheese
Add more depth of flavour: Saute the onion in 1 tbsp virgin olive oil or butter for 3 minutes, then add the garlic for 30 more seconds before adding to the remaining ingredients
Add a twist: Add 1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
Per 1 of 6 servings
Total Fat: 18g
Saturated Fat: 8g
Vitamin B12: 2.1 mcg