If I have learned one thing from having a weekly vegetable box delivered to my door it is this – beets are always in season. Well, they are on Vancouver Island anyway. From June, straight through to October, they haven’t missed a beet, and I have heard down the grapevine that the winter edition is set to include even more of this tasty vegetable. I have only just begun the experience the versatility of beets, from Beet Apple and Kale Salad with Walnuts and Dill to Beet and Goat Cheese Salad with Green Beans and even Gluten Free Beet Chocolate Muffins with Chickpea Flour. And now another beet inspired dish to add to the repertoire – a super Simple Beet Dip with Balsamic Vinegar and Cream Cheese. The best part? It’s only five-ingredients.
“Beets are very high in a phytonutrient called betalain. Betalains function both as antioxidants and anti-inflammatory molecules. Rhubarb, chard, amaranth, prickly pear cactus, and Nopal cactus are examples of foods that contain betalains.”
Steaming vegetables is the best way to retain maximum nutrients, but boiling beets could also work. In this recipe I used a spreadable cream cheese; you could use the brick variety but be prepared to add a liquid (such as olive oil) to the dip if it is too thick. Although beets are always in season, lemon is not. An alternative would be some apple cider vinegar which would pair nicely with the balsamic vinegar. This dip is great on crackers, wraps and even on roasted veggies.
Simple Beet Dip with Balsamic Vinegar and Cream Cheese
Ingredients for Simple Beet Dip with Balsamic Vinegar and Cream Cheese
- 4 medium sized beets, skin removed and chopped into cubes
- 5 tbsp. organic spreadable cream cheese
- 1 small lemon, juiced (3-4 tbsp.)
- 1-2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- ground black pepper (optional)
Method For Simple Beet Dip with Balsamic Vinegar and Cream Cheese
- Place the skinned and cubed beets in a steamer and steam for 20-30 minutes or until the beets can be pierced easily with a fork. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Place the cooled beets and the rest of the ingredients in a food processor and puree until smooth. Taste and season.
- Serve to your favourite people.
Make it vegan: Use a vegan cream cheese.
Make it seasonal: Use apple cider vinegar in place of lemon.
Total Fat: 3g