Every Thursday we get our Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) vegetable box delivered and our fridge fills up with fresh kale, beets and carrots. And every Monday night, after a weekend of one too many wines and late night pizzas, our household gets the pleasure of Sami’s yummy salad bowl. I don’t know of any better way to get through the Monday blues than with a tummy full of fresh veggies and whole grains. This Summer Tofu Salad with Glory Bowl Dressing uses a play on the notorious Whitewater Cooks Glory Bowl Dressing… if you haven’t tried it yet you are in for a treat!
“Beets are a great summer vegetable and is a unique source of a phytonutrient called betalains. Betalains provide antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.”
Kale salad is one of my favourite go-tos because it is so hearty. Kale, along with beets and carrots also keep well so leftovers can be made a few days in advance. The dressing also stores well and a big batch can be made to last the week. Making salad bowls in larger quantities helps set you up for a week full of nutrition and tasty lunches. For an extra nutrition boost top it with some fresh sprouts, a sprinkle of hemp hearts, or any other seasonal vegetable.
For my friends from Australia (including Sami), a salad bowl is new concept. Salad on top of rice? It does sound strange, but I promise you it is amazing. This one is topped off with crunchy sunflower seeds and a tasty dressing adapted from our own Nelson BC’s Whitewater Cooks Glory Bowl Dressing. Thanks for the recipe Sami!
Summer Tofu Salad with Glory Bowl Dressing
Adapted from Whitwater Cooks – Nelson BC
Using Apple Cider Vinegar in your salad dressings is a great way to increase your intake of fermented foods. Make a big batch of this dressing and have it throughout the week. Once you try it you will never go back.
Ingredients for Summer Tofu Salad with Glory Bowl Dressing
- 1 cup brown rice, raw
- 2 blocks x-firm organic tofu
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp organic soy sauce or tamari
- 1 bunch of kale, de-stemmed
- 1 head of fresh salad greens
- 2 beets, peeled and grated
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp organic soy sauce or tamari
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar, unpasteurised
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp tahini paste
For the salad dressing
Method For Summer Tofu Salad with Glory Bowl Dressing
- To prepare the rice rinse well under running water. Add to a saucepan with 2 1/4 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and let simmer. The rice will be ready when all the water has evaporated, about 30-40 minutes. Quinoa can be used in place of brown rice.
- To prepare the tofu, cut tofu into rectangles about 1/2″ thick. Toss with sesame oil and soy sauce or tamari. Spread onto an oiled baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes.
- While the rice and tofu are cooking prepare the salad. First wash the salad greens and rip them into bite size pieces. Add greens to a bowl with carrot, beets and sunflower seeds. Set aside while you prepare the dressing.
- If you have a magic bullet, preparing the dressing is as simple as whizzing all the ingredients together. Otherwise add all ingredients to a bowl and whisk by hand until the ingredients are incorporated.
- When the rice and tofu are done, assemble by serving the rice in a bowl topped with the salad and sunflower seeds. Add the tofu and dressing on top. Enjoy!
Make it Grain Free: Replace the rice with lentils or roasted yams or sweet potato.
Bump up the Protein: Serve it with quinoa in place of brown rice, and sprinkle with hemp hearts.
Make it Soy Free: Boil 12 eggs to have in place of tofu. Use coconut aminos in place of soy sauce.
Amount per one of four servings
Total Fat: 30g
Vitamin C: 90mg